Could there be a little tension in the Irish camp that could explain the mis-firing nature of the games recently? Eddie and Brian don’t seem to think so but it could be the reason for a few unsettled performances.
The Irish team, like every other team have the expectations of a nation on their shoulders. They’re also carrying the tag of being “the best prepared professional rugby team to leave our shores” and in with a genuine punt at the Web Ellis trophy. This is bound to cause a few nerves and a little niggling in the goldfish bowl atmosphere of the camp. But could there be other reasons for any unrest? Here are a few I’ve thought of:
- Fringe players not getting their run out?
- Performances below par and two big games yet to come?
- Mounting frustration after weeks of training?
- Constant media intrusion and press conferences?
- Eddie’s contract being extended before the World Cup?
- A simple mis-quoting of a player in an interview?
- Pure boredom mixed with acute sexual frustration?
To be honest, there are plenty of reasons to be annoyed and it’s bound to break out every now and then. The best course of action and I’m no psychiatrist, is to turn that aggression around and put it on the field. To use the old cliche, “do your talking on the pitch”. I get the feeling that the Georgians are going to be in for a tough time on Saturday.